Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homeschoooling

We are now into our fourth week of homeschooling. I love seeing the changes in my kids. The confidence, starting to take risks again and self esteem are all slowly returning from non existence. Wanting to work longer and harder. They are having fun learning and are feeling better about learning in an environment where they are safe to make mistakes. They are not teased, not called stupid and not embarrassed by being called upon and they get the answer wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and it is making mistakes that helps us to learn. Mistakes are slowly being seen as human and not a big deal. When we first started schooling from home they were afraid to speak their thoughts out loud for fear they were wrong. With encouragement they began to share and they even began to encourage each other. It has been a really rewarding experience.

The kids actually have asked to do more work when we are finished for the day. They  have asked to work ahead. There are kids who hated homework and now they don't want positive learning to end. I never thought I would see the day and it has happened so quickly that I am truly amazed. This is truly a wonderful experience. I have some days were I am so totally unwell that I teach from bed but that doesn't take away from anything. In fact my children are also learning compassion for others.

I am so very proud of who my children are as individuals. They are both wonderfully creative and fun. We are lucky parents indeed.

© 2011 Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment