Sunday, July 31, 2011

Blindsided

 This week I had an appointment in Toronto at Mount Sinai Hospital - Rheumatology and Auto-Immune Department. My family Dr. wanted me reassessed for Lupus. Of course being a teaching hospital I met with a flunky before the actual Dr. Spent about 45 minutes with him answering questions, family history and he completed a physical assessment. He said he would be back in 5-10 minutes once he briefed my actual Dr. Well 10 minutes turned out to be over 60 minutes.

She was quick and through. Asked some questions to further clarify her flunky's notes and did her own physical assessment. I was quickly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and she agreed further testing for Lupus was required as was Rheumatoid Arthritis (all three of these diseases are auto-immune diseases related to arthritis) as she found what she thinks is a nodule in my right hand.

She ordered a whack of blood tests and MRI's on my hands. She made some recommendations on the way I should be sleeping and prescribed a medication to assist with chronic pain and my troubles sleeping. I will see her in November for follow up since they should have all of my tests results back in by then. Yes, it can take months to get an MRI of my hands.

The diagnosis of Fibromyalgia is a hard one to take. I have been preparing myself for the obvious diseases that they have been talking about since I got sick: Rhuematoid Arthritis, Lupus and MS...Nobody ever once suggested that I might have fibromyalgia!! Blindsided ..where did this come from? How she as able to so quickly assess and diagnose! I have spent months looking for answers and well, I don't really like this answer..mind you I wouldn't have liked any of them but this one I had not been prepared for! Not to mention the concern of the fact that we need to keep looking, there could be something else!! When will it end?

© 2011 Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment